Consumption and material cycles – target for 2050
In 2015, 'waste' as a concept no longer existed. Life cycle thinking is applied in procurement, product design and decision-making. Consumers, businesses, the industry and the city are committed to being resource-wise.
An action plan and schedule for achieving the objectives:
- New local actors for material flow management emerge in Lappeenranta
- The city has its own action plan for incorporating reuse and recycling into designs and public procurements.
- Annual resource efficiency awards
- A "container" for construction materials and a design service for the recycling and reuse of materials have opened in Lappeenranta.
- There is a biogas plant for processing biowaste and sludge from the region.
- Experience/shopping centre for sustainable consumption
- Composite materials from waste and recycled materials are produced at Kukkuroinmäki.